What is vaping?
It is a process that simulates smoking cigarettes in which the smoker uses aerosol "vapor" instead of inhaling tobacco. E-cigarettes usually contain a heating element that sprays a liquid solution called e-liquid. The user automatically activates the e-cigarette by breathing and some other devices work manually by pressing a button. Some e-cigarettes are similar to traditional cigarettes, but come in many forms.
Most versions are reusable, but some are meant to be discarded. There are first generation devices, second generation, third generation, and fourth generation devices.
There are different opinions about vaping, whether it is healthy or not.There is tentative evidence that it may help people quit smoking, although this evidence has not been shown to be a more effective method of quitting smoking. There is concern that non-smokers and children may start using nicotine through e-cigarettes at a higher rate than would have been expected if they had never been invented.
Because of the potential for nicotine addiction from e-cigarette use. Its role in reducing tobacco damage is unclear according to a study, while another study found that it appears to have the ability to reduce tobacco-related deaths and diseases.
E-cigarettes create vapor made from fine and ultra-fine particles of suspended matter, which have been found to contain substances like “propylene glycol, glycerin, nicotine, flavors, trace amounts of toxicants, and carcinogens”, But e-cigarettes are generally considered to be safer than tobacco products.
electronic cigarette components
- Coil and wick
- Solution tank (cartridge or canister)
- e-solution (the substance that is vaporized to produce fog)
Types of electronic cigarettes
There are many types of electronic cigarettes “vape”, and the type is chosen according to the smoker and what he wants, and their types are:
Small electronic cigarette (mini vape)
It resembles a regular cigarette in shape, and contains a light when inhaled to give the smoker the feel of a traditional cigarette.
Single use electronic cigarette
But it cannot be filled or charged, it is used once, after which it is unusable.
Medium size electronic cigarette
One of the most common types of electronic cigarettes, this type contains a tank that is filled, and there is a battery that is charged when used.
However, despite the spread of electronic cigarettes, the harms are severe.
What is the percentage of nicotine in an electronic cigarette?
A vape or electronic cigarette contains different percentages of nicotine, which are 6, 12, 16 or 18 mg of nicotine in oil or e-liquid, bearing in mind that the tank of a cigarette contains 10 or 20 of the liquid and the concentration of nicotine varies, based on the desire of the producers of the substance to offer all options that suit every smoker.
Electronic cigarettes side effects
As you know that electronic cigarettes are heated by a liquid that contains nicotine, the main reason of harm to electronic cigarettes is nicotine, which causes addiction. Providing the body with a set of toxins, In addition to the presence of nicotine, there is another group of harmful substances that are toxic to the human body, including:
Acetaldehyde and Formaldehyde: These are carcinogens.
Acrolein: It is a substance that leads to serious lung diseases such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and lung cancer.
Benzene: It is a substance found in car smoke, and it has a negative effect on the brain and health in general.
Diacetyl: It causes bronchitis.
Propylene glycol: which has a harmful effect on our body systems.
Lead and cadmium: which are a poisonous substances.
Smoking may precipitate in much more diseases for example:
- Increased risk of preterm birth
- One of the harmful effects of electronic cigarettes on pregnant women in particular is that it may cause premature birth and sometimes death of the fetus.
- Sleep problems and nightmares.
- Circulation problems.
- Dry mouth and vomiting.
- Spasms in the lungs.
- joint pain.
- Muscle jerk.
- Heart burn and difficulty in digestion.
- Increased risk of heart attacks.
- Negative effect on others
- One of the harmful effects of e-cigarettes is that it negatively affects the people around the smoker.
- Nicotine negatively affects the brain, increases the desire to try other addicts, such as: drugs and cocaine, and affects attention, learning and mood centers in the brain.
- Increased chance of developing chronic lung disease,
One of the harms of electronic cigarettes is that it leads to an increase in the incidence of serious chronic lung diseases, and symptoms include coughing, breathing problems and chest pain.
It is worth noting that the safety of the electronic cigarette has not been proven by the US Food and Drug Administration, and its effectiveness in helping to stop smoking. A person who is keen to quit smoking and maintain his health should consult doctors and specialists to find the right ways and ways to stop smoking.
Ten steps to quit electronic smoking
After we know the bad side of electronic smoking, here are the steps to get rid of smoking:
- smoke but less than the previous day, meaning that you reduce the number of cigarettes on a daily and gradual basis, and do not stay away from smoking once.
- Try to clean the place from the smell of cigarettes, such as clothes and floors. The smell of cigarettes has a strong factor in continuing to smoke.
- Try to cut ties with the cigarette, and gradually move away from it, reduce the number of cigarettes in the drawers of the house and the car, and then gradually empty the drawers of cigarettes completely.
- Stay away from consuming substances that contain a high percentage of caffeine such as tea, coffee and Nescafe. You can drink from one to two cups a day, and stay away from soft drinks, because this reminds you of a cigarette.
- Do physical exercises that help to remove the largest amount of toxins and at the same time, help you to release your negative energy, such as jogging, boxing, cycling, swimming and basketball.
- Change the taste of cigarettes in your mouth, by filling it with gum, parsley or cinnamon sticks. These herbs are healthy and at the same time a distraction.
- Eating foods that help you quit smoking, including carrots and celery, as they are used to clean the lungs of smokers.
- Take a break as much as possible, and wake up to do some aerobics or yoga to breathe clean air.
- Eating drinks and foods that contain vitamin C or C because they help you quit smoking, such as cinnamon, turmeric, milk and fruits.