Corona virus disease is caused by acute respiratory disease discovered in china , there is fewer cases reported about infection in children than adults and the severity of the disease is mild in children who need only supportive care .
What about signs and symptoms ?
We need to know that symptoms may be absent , but some patients may have
- Cough .
- Nausea and vomiting .
- Fever may be present .
- Shortness of breath .
- Sore throat .
- Diarrhea .
- Myalgia .
- Fatigue .
- Abdominal pain .
- Conjunctivitis .
- Skin rash .
- Recently many patients reported loss of taste and smell .
Laboratory tests don’t always show specific indications about covid 19 , the following abnormalities have been observed
- Lymphopenia .
- Elevated liver and muscle enzymes “ SGPT , SGOT “ .
- Increased myoglobin and creatine kinase isoenzyme levels .
- Elevated C reactive protein .
- Elevated erythrocyte sedimentation .
- Elevated D-dimer .
Chest radiograph shows bilaterally patchy shadowing , subpleural ground-glass opacities and consolidation .
Corona virus can spread by droplet , person to person contact , contaminated objects and airborne contagion . there is no evidence that it can be transmitted by sexual contact .
Treatment and management
1) Most cases can be treated spontaneously without any treatment but we can add oxygen supply for treating hypoxia as a supportive remedy .
Adding antiviral drugs may help in this case , Remdesivir has been approved by FDA for treating covid 19 for patients from age 12 years .
In addition to vaccines as “ Pfizer , moderna , Johnson and Johnson “ and antibody-directed therapy “ bamlanivimab plus etesevimab “ . but not used as mono therapy .
There is no enough evidence about treating covid 19 with plasma but it’s based on individualized assessment of risk and benefit .
How can you protect yourself against covid 19 ?
- Taking the recommended vaccine can reduce the percentage of infection in addition to reducing the symptoms in case of infection .
- Avoid direct contact with infected patients or asymptomatic patients .
- Wear your personal medical mask , “ N95 “ is recommended .
- Keep clean always by washing your hands with soap in addition to using hand sanitizer .
- Avoid crowded public places and maintain at least 2 meters of distance between you and others .
- Make sure to drink plenty of water every day .